Upper Back Pain
We take a comprehensive approach to treating mild or debilitating upper back pain at Integrative Health + Sports Performance. Our Doctors of Chiropractic have seen patients with acute and chronic pain that developed in the course of routine activities or due to aging. Our Bellbrook chiropractors can help to restore body functions and mobility by combining chiropractic adjustments with soft tissue therapy and corrective exercises. All treatments provided are natural, non-invasive, and drug-free. They work synergistically to provide optimum pain relief and enhance overall wellness.
Common Upper Back Pain Causes
Work, sports, or auto accident injuries and certain health conditions affecting the vertebrae, joints, muscles, tendons, or ligaments of the upper back spine can cause pain. Among the common causes are:
- Vertebral misalignment
- Poor posture
- Lifting heavy objects
- Overuse or repetitive use
- Muscle strain, stress, or tension
- Pinched or irritated spinal nerves
- Bulging or herniated thoracic disc
- Degenerative disc disease, such as osteoarthritis
Typical Back Pain Symptoms
You may feel a dull aching or sharp stabbing pain. The pain may travel to the neck, shoulder, chest, abdomen, arm, or lower back and interfere with mobility. Muscle spasms, stiffness, weakness, numbness or a tingling sensation in the upper or lower body may also occur.
Diagnosing Pain Affecting the Upper Back
A comprehensive evaluation, physical exam, and imaging tests, such as X-rays, usually help in pinpointing issues with the musculoskeletal system causing pain.
Upper Back Pain Treatment by Our Chiropractors in Bellbrook
We usually integrate the following treatments to relieve back pain, heal injured soft tissue, and strengthen the muscles:
- Chiropractic Adjustment: In the case of misalignment or disc herniation, spinal adjustments are performed by hands or using an instrument to gently pull the vertebrae back into alignment. This safe, non-surgical technique relieves pain by taking the pressure off the spinal joints, bones, and nerves.
- Soft-tissue Therapy: Massaging the stiff, aching muscles activates the body's natural pain relief system and enhances blood circulation. This helps to reduce inflammation and speed up soft tissue healing. Active Release Techniques (ART) is particularly useful for overused or strained muscles causing pain.
- Laser Therapy: Non-invasive laser therapy using the K-Laser Class IV unit is performed by applying light energy to the affected soft tissue. This helps to reduce swelling and pain.
- Corrective Exercises: Your chiropractic physician may encourage you to do special corrective exercises at home to release joint and muscle restrictions, increase muscle strength and stability, and prevent new injuries.
Get Lasting Back Pain Relief Treatment from Our Chiropractors
It's time to stop back pain from getting the better of you. Integrative Health + Sports Performance is conveniently located in Bellbrook, but we also provide services to patients in Miamisburg, Dayton, and Fairborn. Call (843) 884-8444 to schedule a consultation today.